We all know what it feels like to be emotionally manipulated.
Whether the manipulation comes a coworker, loved one, or an acquaintance, it can be extremely effective but hurtful.
Because emotional manipulation can be so destructive, it’s important for you to recognize it in your own life. It’s not as easy as you might think, because emotional manipulators are typically very skillful.
Here is a list of the different types to be on the lookout for:
2. One-Upmanship Expert – This person uses put downs, snide remarks and criticisms, to show that they’re superior, and know much more than you.
3. Powerful Dependents – They hide behind the mask of being weak and powerless – then use their helplessness to dominate relationships. That is, they send the subtle message “you must not let me down.”
4. Triangulators – This person tries to get other people on their side. They’re quick to put you down, and to say some nasty things. They separate good friends or drive a wedge in families.
5. The Blasters – They blast you with their anger or they blow up suddenly. That stops you asking questions – in case there’s a showdown.
6. The Projector – This person thinks they’re perfect and others have the flaws. They take no ownership – because they’re never, ever wrong.