It’s amazing how fast things have changed. Most for the better, some not so much. Everything now is so fast paced, driven by technology. It’s like we don’t take the time to enjoy what’s around us anymore. We don’t stop, relax, and yes, I’m going to use the old cliché, smell the roses.
An encyclopedia salesmen might not have thought the advent of Google was so hot. But I remember having to spend hours upon hours at the library to complete term papers, so I think Google is the shit, especially when I need to look up a recipe, or settle an argument about how old a certain celebrity is.
I remember playing pick-up sticks, hopscotch, and jump rope with my friends. Do kids still do that? Saturday mornings were for cartoons and Micky-D’s was a special treat.
If you remember any of those things you probably remember the following:
1. McDonald’s cool mascot Mac Tonight. Well, at least McDonald’s thought he was cool.
2. Learning important life lessons from Sweet Pickles books.
3. Trying to get the high score at the video arcade on Galaga.
4. Reading books so you could get a free Pizza Hut personal pizza from the Book It! program.
5. No online searches, you actually had to go to the library and let your fingers do the searching.
6. Needing a ton of floppy disks to install your programs.
7. Dressing up in non-fire retardant Halloween costume, with a plastic mask.
8. Saturday mornings weren’t complete without Pee-Wee’s Playhouse with a young Laurence Fishburne.
9. Having a collection of scratch ‘n’ sniff stickers, but never actually scratching them to keep the scent intact
10. Never getting tired of watching your flowers dance.
11. Going through a bottle of white out trying to type those papers.
12. Wasting all your quarters on the Lucky Egg Machine… Dang! Rotten.
13. Running amok through FAO Schwartz, but not buying anything.
14. Shopping at Woolworth for cheaply made goods.
15. Thinking Casey the Talking Tape Player was the coolest thing ever.
16. Pumping on a metal swing at the playground to get a good height, then jumping off in mid-air!
17. Keeping all your favorite makeup and accessories in a Caboodles case
18. Drinking a Tab soda to “keep tabs” on your weight.
19. Wondering how they got the Strawberry Shortcake doll to smell like strawberries (sort of).
20. Getting your free CDs from the Columbia House Record Club, then cancelling your subscription.
21. Getting your McDonald’s order in Styrofoam containers
22. Forget rotary phones, many people only have cell phones in their homes now.
23. Using these heated curling rods to get your hair looking at big as possible.
24. Circling the things you wanted for Christmas in the Sears Christmas Wish Book.
25. Getting neat prizes in Cracker Jack boxes.
26. Looking up information in the A to Z encyclopedia set only to see they’re 5 years old.
27. The pre-cellphone way of tracking down your boyfriend (Why hasn’t he called back yet?!).
28. Eating Sugar Corn Pops loaded with sugar while watching cartoons.
29. Paying late fees at the video store.
30. Sure, you know about camera film, but when is the last time you’ve actually used it.